Thursday, February 14, 2013

Coffees From Øristeriet

Along with the Aeropress, I had generously, three different coffees sent to me from Øristeriet for review.

First off:

Colombia Bucaramanga

Øristeriet describes Colombia Bucaramanga as a classic Colombia with a good balance, full body and complex taste. The coffee berries are picked by hand, and only the fully mature berries are selected.
All of the coffees are delivered in a airtight bag, with a one-way valve. Just the way I like it.
The beans look good, they are all similar and the roast is very even. I got them only one day old of roast, and had to leave them for a few days. Opening the bag, a lovely and powerful scent of chocolate hits me. I tried it as french-press an aeropress.
This is a typical Colombian coffee, it’s a bit mediocre. But in my perspective it’s a good Colombian bean.
It is my opinion that this coffee easily over extracts and gets bitter. With that in mind, I set the grind coarser, added a bit more water and reduced the extraction time.  
Getting the parameters right, leaves me with a smooth and powerful cup. The aromas of chocolate are clear also in taste. The first notes are nutty, then a little smoked and last the earthy and chocolaty notes.
It’s what I would call a great morning coffee. I like the fact that it is powerful and in the morning I like some bitterness, and this coffee provides just the right amount.

Tanzania MACHARE Estate

Roaster describes the coffee as a fantastic after dinner coffee, with rich and bright taste, nice acidity, perfect balance and soft finish. Also organic and rainforest alliance certified.
The aromas from this coffee is very earthy, the smell of coffee is strong and bright. Like the other coffees the roast is very good looking. The surface is smooth, and the beans are similar.
I must concur with the roaster about the after dinner part. Right after dinner this coffee is perfect.
Handled a little delicate this coffee can come out super smooth, and with all the floral notes intact. But like the Colombian bean it is very fragile to over extraction and bitterness, but it’s not like it’s not consumable if it turns out a bit over extracted.
It holds great taste, and I really enjoy it when brewed very light.
Just for fun I tried it as a cold brew to, and it did very well this way, brewing over night in the fridge.  

Espresso Unica Organic

This blend is described as a well balanced espresso with a lively kick, because of the blend composition and the fact that it is roasted a bit light.

The blend contains
Balmaadi, Misty Valley
Guatemala Ceylan Y Anexos 
Bucaramanga

I taste many coffees, both my own blend and roasts, as well as coffees bought and provided to me.
This particularly blend is in my top three of espresso coffees, both single and blends. I am super excited about this coffee, the balance is as mentioned one of the best I have ever had.
As a standalone espresso, brewed with a ratio at 55% you should get at cup that fills your mouth with big richness. When I hit the sweet spot, I am overwhelmed with deep chocolate, perfect acidity turning to a slight nutty aftertaste with notes of caramel. It's really good. As a matter of fact, I have been drinking a lot more stand alone espresso and Americano than I usually do, since I started this blend. 
As a cappuccino or cortado, it is just powerful enough to kick thru the milk and give a creamy balance with a very nice balance between milk and espresso. 
I can only recommend this blend, both for those of you who drink espresso black and the ones who drink with milk. 

All three coffees cost 35$ a kilo, roasted. I haven’t tried many coffees at such low price which was that satisfying. But I have tried much more expensive that were more disappointing though.

No comments:

Post a Comment