Thursday, January 31, 2013

How to adjust the OPV on Silvia – 2010 and up



This is defiantly the easiest and fastest mod that I have ever made for my Silvia. But never the less, I think it might be the most essential so far.

For a while now, I have had some suspicions about my OPV being set wrong (factory setting). My shots wiggled a bit too early and blonded too fast sometimes as well.

Adjusting the OPV is no problem, simply follow this video.
 


But if you like me don’t have the pressure gage in store, here is a method that can be used. I found it on Home-barista.


Use the video above, to know the inside of the machine.

 
Measure the flow in the return line using a pyrex cup while pumping with a blind filter. With a stop watch, time how long it takes to go from the 2 oz mark to the 6 oz mark or 4 oz to 8 oz etc, etc. You\'ll come up with 4 ounces in \"X\" seconds. \"X\" should be between 27 and 28 seconds.

Very simple and accurate. If you get 6 oz in less than 28 seconds, turn the OPV clockwise to tighten the spring inside, decreasing the water flow. If you get less than 6 oz in 28 seconds do it the opposite way.
Keep adjusting till you have the seconds right.


My experience is a better flowing shot, with no blonding or wiggling. You would properly have to adjust your grinder a bit to the new flow.

Highly recommendable to spend 20 minutes, to check if it’s all set correct.

Enjoy

Caspar

2 comments:

  1. First you say: "With a stop watch, time how long it takes to go from the 2 oz mark to the 6 oz mark or 4 oz to 8 oz etc, etc. You\'ll come up with 4 ounces in \"X\" seconds. \"X\" should be between 27 and 28 seconds. "
    But in the second paragraph you're saying:" If you get 6 oz in less than 28 seconds, turn the OPV clockwise to tighten the spring inside, decreasing the water flow. If you get less than 6 oz in 28 seconds do it the opposite way."
    This is very confusing, should it be 4 or 6 ounces in 28 seconds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this same problem. When I would brew, the extraction would just be so fast, water would gush out of the portafilter almost immediately. I tried different grinds, tamp pressure, etc. but still no luck. I did this 'pressure hack' and counted 33 seconds for my machine to return 4 oz of water through the return line.

    So I adjusted the OPV about 60 degrees counter-clockwise. The result was 28 seconds to return 4 oz of water thru the return line and Perfect espresso shots every time (at least 6 for 6, back to back, with temperature surfing). I would get a 30 second extraction for a 2.25oz double shot. Pours out like thick chocolate w/ warm honey.. :-)

    Re: Rastislav --
    When the author mentioned getting 6 oz in less than 28 seconds, he was using 2oz as his starting point. When the 4 ounces of water from the return line poured into his measuring cup, he got 6 oz in total.

    Caspar - I don't mean to assume, but the assumption worked well for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete