Sunday, May 5, 2013

Home Made Super Jolly Doserless Funnel


So I finally had the finances to upgrade my grinder. For a long time I have been longing for a Mazzer.

At German Ebay I found a very good looking Super Jolly, and I won the auction at a satisfying price compared to many other sites with used goods.
The grinder is a doser model, I decided to make all the doser mods as a start; elvinator, sweeper, inverted cup etc.
But no matter what I did, it seemed to make a big mess, and I really like the convenience of doserless.

I starting looking for at conversation kit, and found some websites with all the parts, but the price were at least 220$ for the kit. That’s way more than I would ever spend on a piece of aluminum !


I searched other coffee forums and came across a link to pictures involving this….


It’s a fudge funnel, and it’s almost the same size as the original Mazzer Mini funnel, just 1 cm bigger in diameter, but that’s not a problem.
A Danish guy already had made the modifications to his major. Inspired by this project, and the fact that the fudge funnel costs 17 euro, I ordered the funnel from Germany. They call it a liqueur funnel.


Cutting and Shredding

First thing is to take of the handle. It’s jointed on with little point weldings. The trick is to get at sharp flat headed screwdriver in between the funnel and the handle. As soon you get a little opening, put the screwdriver to one of the sides and give it a good bash with a hammer. When one welding is cut open, the rest will come easily.









When I took of the doser, I drew the chute and screw holes on to some transparent paper. This way I can easily draw over the places to cut and drill.  
I placed the paper so that, the upper edge of the funnel is 5 mm under the edge of the grinder.


When the holes are drawn to the funnel, use a metal drill. Make sure it’s sharp; otherwise it will melt quickly against the stainless steel. 


 It’s time to make the exit hole against the chute. I used a jigsaw with a metal blade, and it worked just fine with no problems. Before I started cutting, I drilled a 10 mm hole to make room for the blade.





















Now it’s time to make the exit hole in the funnel – how big to make it, is a matter of opinion. It took of about 15 mm in the length, but later on I have taken an additional 15 mm because the coffee came to close to the exit and produced a little static. To cut it off I used the jigsaw again, but I would recommend a angle grinder instead, with a thin disc in it.



To finish of I used a fine metal file, to take of all the sharp edges and make a nice finish.

I was able to reuse the gasket from the doser, but after some trial and error taking of the doser several times it broke. I haven’t put in a new one, and I can’t seem to feel a huge difference without the gasket.

Mount the new funnel to the grinder and start shooting. Some grinders need a static grid or another device to slow down the coffee; it usually depends on humidity and types of coffee. Right away I could see I needed one. 



I was also able to use the original lid from the doser, but because the diameter in the funnel is a bit bigger, the lid now goes inside, instead of resting at the edge. I attached some knobs to put under chair legs for the lid to rest on.



I am super happy with the result. It looks just as good, as an original funnel from Mazzer in my opinion. And the quality of the end product is really god as well!