Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cleaning time: Hario Syphon

Hario Syphon TCA-2 before cleaning
When I bought my Hario Syphon brewer there was no ending of the happiness that followed. I could produce a great cup of coffee with a clean crisp taste and I could follow the entire brewing process like a chemistry project. Nevertheless the lower bowl has taken a mark of the many times of brewing, leaving a strong soot area, where the alcohol burner reached the glass.

Close up at the Hario Syphon before cleaning
The problem of the soot is only a question of aesthetics, but its ruins the joy when getting ready to brew a nice cup of coffee, cause its covering the bottom of the lower bowl and therefore the sign of boiling. I decided to clean up this bowl if it at all were possible. I first tried some dish soap, but it weren't having any effect, so i rang up my grandmother for some typical housewife advice and she told me to use chlorine instead.

Typical brewing on the Hario Syphon
The picture above shows the area of lower bowl in contact with the fire from the alcohol burner, which aren't the complete sooted area as shown in the first couple of pictures. Above the lower bowl is clean and therefore leaving a much better impression on guests, than a sooted glass bowl.

Hario Syphon TCA-2 after cleaning
I poured some chlorine in a empty bowl and lowered the lower bowl into the fluid, leaving it for about 10 minutes, when I got back nothing had happened. So I pulled the lower bowl up and went over at the sink, beginning to flounder the sooted area, which peeled right of leaving a shinny transparent glass surface.

Close up at the Hario Syphon after cleaning
 The final result were staggering, leaving it in same condition when I purchased it for about a month ago. I can absolutely recommend this method for all Syphon, Siphon nor Vacuum brewers out there, cause its simple, easy and quick, so don't hold back.

Hario Syphon after cleaning
Enjoy the final result of this cleaning!

// Hendrup

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, been wondering how to clean my Hario!

    ReplyDelete